Sawyer Brook Headwaters Parcel
The Sawyer Brook Headwaters Conservation Project was a partnership effort to permanently protect a 386-acre forested parcel bordered by Hartshorn Road (Class VI), Croydon Turnpike (Class VI), Upper Dunbar Hill Road (Class VI), and Walker Road in Grantham. This Parcel is a uniquely valuable natural and recreational resource that was aquired and permanently protected by The Town of Grantham, Ausbon Sargent Land Preservation Trust, and The Conservation Fund (a national nonprofit organization). The parcel had been purchased in 2018 by Dillon Investments, who announced plans to conduct an extensive timber harvest on the property. The proposed harvest would have left much of the parcel cleared and would have greatly diminished its value as a natural and recreational resource. The prior owner (William Ruger, Jr.) conducted significant harvests in 2013 and 2014.
Fortunately, on March 12, 2019, Grantham Town Meeting voters overwhelmingly approved an appropriation of $300,000 in Town funds — to be matched with state and private funds — for the acquisition and permanent protection of the Sawyer Brook Headwaters Parcel. Ausbon Sargent was ultimately able to return $50,000 to Grantham’s taxpayers because of the generosity of private donors, making it a true 50-50 split between the Town and its partners in this roughly $500,000 project. All documents have been executed, transferring ownership to the Town of Grantham subject to the terms of a conservation easement held by Ausbon Sargent.
This Project Has Permanently Protected
● Sawyer Brook Headwaters
● The second-highest ranked wetlands unit in Grantham.
● Wildlife habitat among the highest-ranked in the state by NH Fish and Game.
● A critical section of an existing wildlife corridor allowing travel between nearby conserved parcels.
● Continued public access for nature observation, hiking, mountain biking, running, snowshoeing, skiing, snowmobiling, and more.
and… There is a NEW Opportunity to Protect Key Adjacent Lands
Links to Archived 2019 Documents:
- Sawyer Brook Headwaters Parcel Map
- Powerpoint Slide Presentation (Printable – 6 slides per page)
- Sawyer Brook Headwaters Conservation Project Flyer
- Frequently Asked Questions
Questions? Please Contact: Sheridan Brown, Grantham Project Coordinator 603-865-5231