Sawyer Brook Headwaters Parcel
The Sawyer Brook Headwaters Conservation Project is a partnership effort to permanently protect a 386-acre forested parcel bordered by Hartshorn Road (Class VI), Croydon Turnpike (Class VI), Upper Dunbar Hill Road (Class VI), and Walker Road in Grantham. This Parcel is a uniquely valuable natural and recreational resource that was acquired last year by Dillon Investments, which announced plans to conduct an extensive timber harvest on the property. The proposed harvest would have left much of the parcel cleared and would have greatly diminished its value as a natural and recreational resource. The prior owner (William Ruger, Jr.) conducted significant harvests in 2013 and 2014.
Fortunately, on March 12, 2019, Grantham Town Meeting voters overwhelmingly approved an appropriation of $300,000 in Town funds — to be matched with state and private funds — for the acquisition and permanent protection of the Sawyer Brook Headwaters Parcel.
Still, we must raise an additional $215,000 to complete this project. Funding from private donors like you is vital to our success.
This Project Would Permanently Protect
● Sawyer Brook Headwaters
● The second-highest ranked wetlands unit in Grantham.
● Wildlife habitat among the highest-ranked in the state by NH Fish and Game.
● A critical section of an existing wildlife corridor allowing travel between nearby conserved parcels.
● Continued public access for nature observation, hiking, mountain biking, running, snowshoeing, skiing, snowmobiling, and more.
NOW THAT WARRANT ARTICLE TWO HAS BEEN APPROVED AT TOWN MEETING:
● Remaining funds ($215,000) will come from private and grant funding sources (such as the New Hampshire Land and Community Heritage Investment Program – LCHIP).
● The Town is partnering with The Conservation Fund (“TCF”)(a leading national conservation organization) and Ausbon Sargent Land Preservation Trust (“ASLPT”)(an accredited land trust) based in New London, NH in its efforts.
● The Town will become the eventual owner of the Parcel, while ASLPT will hold a conservation easement on the Parcel protecting it from development.
● The current owner (Dillon Investments) will sell the Parcel at appraised value ($415,000) to TCF and the Town jointly in July 2019 and will not conduct the extensive timber harvest it had planned. The Town will acquire TCF’s share when fundraising is complete.
- Sawyer Brook Headwaters Parcel Map
- Powerpoint Slide Presentation (Printable – 6 slides per page)
- Sawyer Brook Headwaters Conservation Project Flyer
Questions? Please Contact: Sheridan Brown, Grantham Project Coordinator 603-865-5231